Old October 5th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

Mostly correct. I want to stay high not just because of the fuel consumption and potential traffic issues, but also because the ride is better for me and the passengers up high. Many of the approach control frequencies are separated by altitude. The final approach controller is normally responsible for the airspace up to 10K. Thus, the guy or gal that has to get everyone lined up properly before turning things over to the tower, is that "10k and below" person. The ironic thing, is that the busier the airspace and airport is, the sooner we get forced down into the airspace we do not want to fly in so they can coordinate.