Old January 12th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

Default I Wish Our Website Was As Good As This

Hi Robert,

Pilots choose which one they want to
fly, program it into their flight computers (so they don't get lost) and
set off.

I take all the blame for poorly worded webpages. But in fairness, the
general public relates to SatNav & getting lost! I seriously doubt
saying, 'we program our flight computers so we don't accidentally break
airspace and cause a major incident' would be appropriate

I am quite interested in peoples views as this site is an experiment -
it's designed totally for non-gliding people. I've tried to keep the
text as accurate as possible, without getting bogged down in a morass
of technicalities! As a club we need to attract more members & more
trial lessons - and this site is aimed at getting people from outside
of the gliding movement.

Personally, I set about making a site that would help break some of the
stereotypes associated with gliding. For example, I wanted people to
discover that gliders CAN go cross country or do aerobatics, that they
aren't just blown by the wind. Having done a lot of gliding publicity
events I know that these misconceptions are rife (in the UK at least)
and are not doing our sport any favours! Why would anybody want to
take up a sport that they perceive as a lot of standing around for a
simple drift back to the ground?

It's too early to tell if it's working - but we're not selling any less
'vouchers' than before, so I guess that's a start!

Mel