Old March 30th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Airspeed control during ground launch?

"toad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, thanks. That's the physics as I understood it.

With a modern winch, I won't have to worry about reverse control. But
with an old technology ground launch, I do.

Todd

Actually, it's neither difficult nor expensive to eliminate the worst
problems with an automatic transmission.

Replacing the stock valve body in the transmission with a "manual valve
body" allows the winch driver to lock out 1st and 2nd gears. (Google "manual
valve body"). These gadgets replace the stock "PRND2L" shift pattern with
"RN321" which can be further restricted to "N3" with a simple shift gate.
This results in the transmission starting in 3rd and remaining there
throughout the launch.

For a bit more money and little more effort, the stock 1800 RPM stall torque
converter can be replaced with a "high stall" TC that lets the transmission
slip up to say 2800 RPM during power up for a softer but still energetic
launch. It also prevents a heavy glider in strong wind conditions from
bogging down the winch engine. Don't do this without adding an effective
transmission cooler.

It won't be perfect, but it's FAR better than the stock setup.

Bill Daniels