Old December 27th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

Default soaring into the future

At 18:30 27 December 2007, wrote:
Well Steve, you need to come to the convention and
meet with Brad,

me,
and some other like minded folks. I completely agree
with your first
post about the geezers with money, (sorry guys).

BTW are you THE Steve Davis, Genesis guy from CO?

MM

Hi Matt,
Yea, it's me. I have teenage relatives in town so
I'm making daily trips to Keystone. I think the
earlier snowboarding analogy was right on.
Snowboarding wasn't developed by older skiers
and it isn't as fast or exciting to watch as downhill
or slalom. Older skiers, the 'purists' tried very
hard for many years to keep snowboards off the
slopes. Riders were young, with limited money,
who wanted to have fun and they invented and
transformed the sport. By the mid nineties
even the old geezers with bad knees and ankles
were learning to ride. If skiing had been a club
sport I doubt that riding would have had a chance
to take off. The older club members would have
banded together to prevent it. Soaring is in the
same pickle. It won't be rescued by clubs.