Old January 18th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Weak link - single or reserve?

Tom Nau wrote:
Hi All,

Our commercial operation (more like a club) is starting to do winch
launches. I just bought a Tost weak link for my glider from W&W. Are
most people using a "single" weak link or a "single and a reserve"
weak link? Thanks.

The club I fly at does a lot of winching. We don't use a secondary link,
but we do use about 2m of steel cable (the 'strop') between the weak
link and the rings. This cable is inside brightly colored plastic garden
hosepipe, which is colour coded to match the weak link, so the club has
a set of strops at the launch point, each used with the one type of weak
link.

This system makes it easy for the pilot to check that the correct weak
link is used for his glider and the length and colour of the hosepipe
make the strop a bit easier to find after a break.

If you're all providing your own strops, which it sounds like you are,
it may be better to make up two strops, each with a single weak link,
than one with two weak links.

All the clubs I've flown at provide strops and weak links for their
members and visiting pilots.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK