Old January 19th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau

Default Weak link - single or reserve?

On Jan 18, 8:40*am, "Jesper Thomsen" wrote:
"Tom Nau" wrote in message

Hi All,

Our commercial operation (more like a club) is starting to do winch
launches. *I just bought a Tost weak link for my glider from W&W. *Are
most people using a "single" weak link or a "single and a reserve"
weak link? * Thanks.

Tom Nau

In Denmark where winch launching is about 90% of all starts, we also used
backup weak links for a while, but they've almost all disappeared again.

Experience shows that the second weak link is not strong enough to stand up
to the forces that appear when the primary weak link breaks (for whatever
reason). The Net result is that you break two weak links instead of just
one, and you don't get any added security or resilience for the price of the
second weak link.

Plus you add the unnecessary complexity of having to check that the two weak
links are different and that either didn't break during the last launch,
plus you're dragging two weak links through stones, dust, mud, grass etc.
instead of just one.

/J

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Tom Nau