Old April 20th 05, 05:52 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

John Ousterhout wrote:
I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane? I am wondering how much insurance will run for
such an airplane (I am IFR with 230+ hours, working on Commercial ticket).

If you and/or your passenger are heavier than the FAA Standard (170
pounds) you will likely be over gross weight if you fill the gas tanks.
If you weigh what I do your only possible passenger is a child,
fashion model or jockey.

I have to agree with others: he's better off with a Cherokee 140 or (even
better) a Cherokee 180. I think of my wood working tools: the only day I
enjoyed cheap tools was the day I paid for them. I cursed every time I actually
tried to use them and found them inadequate for my needs. There have been too
many times in the past where I bought cheap only to buy again later what I
should have started with.

A Cherokee will carry two adults in comfort and more if necessary, as well as
being a more stable IFR platform.

If he can't afford better now, he should rent what he needs until he can.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE