Old April 5th 17, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Sean, I would argue for more work on Flarm.

Flarm should be mandatory for competitions and the receivers are very cheap
- Raspberry PI plus a $10 TV receiver. Perhaps $60 in all. You need a
network of receivers in the task area but I'll bet you can recruit computer
enthusiasts all over the US to provide this.

We use it for tracking, IGC logging, in flight safety, retrieves, MIAs,
navigation, tug and glider launch logging, and even for demonstrating to
Nimbys that we adhere to airspace and noise abatement rules.

The resulting data is freely available on the net for programmers to
develop great interfaces available in browsers and smart TVs.