Old October 4th 17, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ATC Privatization, HR 2997

Mostly they are worried about airplane pilots having to pay per flight for ATC services. Won't affect soaring much. Motor pilots argue ATC services are paid for with avgas tax, but that also means they are subsidized by everyone that burns avgas and doesn't use ATC. Bigger issue is if a private company and a monopoly is making money off controlled airspace then they are likely to lobby for more controlled airspace. See red light camera scumbaggery for an example. Could argue that there is a safety issue, if every request to ATC generates a bill less pilots will use ATC. I think the ADSB mandate for motorplanes(in certain airspace) is going to drive more pilots out of the ATC system then pay per use would. Not getting excited I suspect the bill is privatization theatre and other than generating donations for the advocacy orgs will be a nothing burger. And if the rules do get too onerous we'll just paint all our gliders and towplanes black and fly at night.