Old February 9th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Advice on prop aircraft

On Jan 31, 6:16*am, marques.jpf wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, but i'll go straight to the point that made me register

In the near future, i'm going to become part of a business that requires
me to travel a lot in some countries in Africa, specially Mozambique.
Due to the nature of many of those places and huge distances to travel,
and since my work is mostly field investigation, travelling by car is
very uncomfortable and time consuming.

So, with that in mind, i'm going to buy a plane and take a pilot's
license!

Thing is, although i'll have experienced people that can advice me and a
team that travels with me, i must plan in advance and buy a plane soon,
even without knowing anything about flying (well, apart from some flight
sim on my PC).

Hoping that there is people in this forum that has a good knowledge
about aircraft, i'm here to listen to opinions on what to buy.

The aircraft i need must meet the following requirements:

- 5 seats (ish) and some cargo space for luggage
- must be able to take off / land in small strips, possibly with rough
terrain
- pilot friendly (i'll be a flying noob, not a top gun...)
- reliable (i won't have a spare parts shop nearby most of the time)

Other than that, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Joćo

--
marques.jpf

Best option would probably be a Cherokee Six or a Cessna 206.
Each will haul a decent load and would be an acceptable airplane
to learn to fly in.

Your biggest problem will be getting the required skills. You
will probably be wise to hire a pilot/instructor to get you started.
That way you can use the aircraft while you meet the requirements
for your certificate.

Don't underestimate the size of this task. You will need strong
commitment to get it done.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor bppp.org