Old June 24th 04, 04:18 PM
Tony Verhulst

COLIN LAMB wrote:
It seems "old" power pilots used to keep nose high when having too much
altitude, close to stalling, in order to maximise drag. ...

Comment:

I am an old power pilot and I do not know anyone who ever used that method.

I was taught this method when I was getting checked out in a Citabria.
It was principally used while still "reasonably" high on final when
there was a headwind and you were too high. It worked well enough when
it was demonstrated to me but I've never done it on my own - nor do I
intend to. Slow and close to the ground on a windy day seems unwise, to
say the least.

Tony V.