Old July 9th 04, 03:37 PM
bryan chaisone

Both my mom and dad are diabetics. My grandfather lived to be 104 by
the way and smoked the whole time since he was fourteen. I am hoping
that this thing skipps a generation or two.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Stealth Pilot wrote in message
there is an interesting research paper regarding diabetics. it points
out that losing weight and increasing in weight both statistically
shortened life in the sample, but wanting to lose weight without
losing weight is associated with increases in longevity.
had me intrigued for ages until the penny dropped. healthy living has
immediate benefits while weight changes take much longer.

jogging is not as good as walking as a form of exercise. one of our
local hospitals regularly fills a ward with joggers needing knee
replacements.

getting the weight off in the long term is important for pilots
though. adipose tissue is an endocrine gland. having massive over
secretion of the hormones from fatty tissue seems to be a precursor to
type two diabetes. the consequences of diabetes apart from pilot
medical problems are that you suffer impaired peripheral circulation.
you dont want to go down that path ever unless you have a fascination
for amputations.

longevity? I think I'll be happy to make my last flights at 103 and
then pack it in. :-)
Stealth Pilot