Old July 16th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

On 07/16/09 13:48, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:46 pm, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:36 pm, Sam Spade wrote:

BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:41 am, Sam Spade wrote:

So, you are saying I need a clearance to land when NORDO and proceeding
under the provisions of 91.185?

Correct. I am sure you know clearance for an approach is NOT a
clearance to land. I don't see anything in the above that says I am
allowed to land (hence the light signals).

No light signals, no clearance to land. I better be squawking 7700 if
I plan to land without a LANDING clearance. The above pertains to
enroute and approach clearances.

I beg to differ with you. When operating under 91.185 you don't have an
approach clearance any more than you have a landing clearance.

Lets go this route. The system has built in a communication way for
getting a clearance to land via light gun?

What makes you think that 91.185 would trump the clearance to land
procedures?

I realize this is more theoretical talk as in the real world, ATC will
move traffic to get us in safely and it's a matter of "semantics" but
in the theory world, what you gave as reference pertains to enroute
operations (center and approaches), not tower operations (landing)

I hit send too fast! Landing is a VFR operation, not a IFR
operation. You would be visual from DH to wheels down so I really
don't think 91.185 applies.

Oh good grief! If you break out of the clouds at DA and proceed to
land visually, do you really believe you're flying under VFR?

Why don't you think 91.185 applies once you break out of the clouds?
Did you cancel your IFR clearance at that point? If not, aren't you
still flying by IFR?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers