Old October 6th 18, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TangoPapa

Default vinyl wrap

Hi all,
I am just starting to sand my wings this week. I work in a sign shop and would cost me almost nothing to wrap my wings. However, I will paint the wings instead the vinyl wrap and I tell you why. Even if you use best car vinyl it will crack soon if you did not use the best UV protection film, like the 3M 8508 or Trigon 3mil gloss laminate. At work we have new car wraps daily. Before we can start we have to take off the old wrap. If the wrap was less than 3 years old it will come off easily long as the installer did not use additional glue/cement at the edges or on sharp curves. We had cars that did not have UV protector laminates and we had to sand off the whole car, it wasn’t pretty sight, the vinyl almost bakes to the surface. Normally during the installation, we heat up the vinyl to F 350-400 with a heat gun as we lay down the vinyl. With that we can stretch and form the vinyl.. This could over heat the skin. If you still decide to use a car wrap on the wings make sure to tell the installer not to use excessive heat! It is possible to install the wrap cold, with soap and alcohol mixture but I never tried in on a wing.
The other problem that I can see that the vinyl cracks in cold if flexes, good example would be the wing. We are losing wraps on plastic bumpers all the time. I am also questioning that the FAA would let you wrap legally a glider with a standard airworthiness certificate.
Good look experimenting, but please remove the wrap in every tree years.