Old October 15th 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

At 14:54 15 October 2018, wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:30:04 AM UTC-4, Michael

Opitz wrote:
I did my Diamond climb at Gorham a few years ago. Low point

about
700
above=
the airport. Max 17990. Made Diamond by 62 feet. I was told

that
this was
=
the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown

had just
ended and
th=
ey need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH

UH,

Maybe the 5th one out of Gorham, but there were numerous
climbs like that made from the old White Mountain airport in

North
Conway before that airport was closed. After we opened up

modern
wave flying there in 1966, people figured out that one didn't

have to
tow 23 miles to get to the primary at Pinkham Notch. All one

had to
do was climb up off the ridge at the east end of the airport and

then
jump about 5 or 6 waves upwind. There were numerous flights

that
were made to Diamond altitude gains with releases about 300'

AGL on
the ridge right off the end of the runway. It sure cut down on

the
launch time intervals as opposed to the tow plane having to do a

46
mile round trip through the Moat Mountain range rotor out and

back.

RO

I was trying to point out that one does not have to take a whore

tow and
use Class A airspace to get the diamond. My flight was not at all
remarkable, but relatively uncommon. The only uncommon thing

about my
flight was that I did it on the first try.
We are lucky to have Gorham as a site, having lost the other sites

to uses
like shopping malls.
UH

UH,

Actually, the whore tows were responsible for people finding the
alternative much lower ridge releases. Towing the 23 miles one way
in the constant Moat range rotor was a royal pain as well, but once
word about the wave possibilities got out, the initial operation with
one L-19 tow plane could just not keep up with the demand of
everyone showing up for a flight. The turn around time for just one
tow was on the order of 45 minutes or more. So, as we learned the
wave system and explored more, the much shorter tows with lower
releases on the ridge became the norm, and the operation was able
to accommodate the larger number of pilots who came out to
experience it.

RO