Old June 24th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Looking for Sail Plane to conduct Ground Vibration Flutter Test

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 11:11:50 PM UTC-6, Mike C wrote:
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 11:04:49 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 10:51:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am looking for a sale plane (i.e., a test structure) to use for Ground Vibration Tests (GVT) during our Hands-On Modal Testing & Analysis Seminar. The objective is to identify the wing "flutter" modes. We'll also create an FE Model for FEM-Test correlation and FE Moel Updating. The plane will never fly, it is simply a test structure. The wing span should be in the 10' to 15' range. Thanks, Jim Steedman [714-441-3488, , www.navcon.com]

It would be nice to know if this is a destructive or non-destructive test. Lack of candor implies it is destructive.

Tom

How many people have a full scale sailplane with a 15' wingspan? Perhaps this should be on a RC model forum someplace.

I called Jim and had a long chat about what they are doing. I found a large scale composite RC vendor that might work. I also suggested he contact the League of Silent Flight for possible leads, Al Bowers, and Edwards AFB as sources of possible models that might be available for such a project and fit the size requirements.

Frank Whiteley