Old May 20th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default current small aircraft market????

Matt,
is $1MM flat not available or just too expensive. I'm trying to design
an employee pilot program for my company and am gathering data like that. I
filed for a quote the other day and still haven't heard back so maybe the
market is really drying up.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
John Galban wrote:
On May 19, 4:57 pm, "Private" wrote:
I have been watching the for sale adverts looking for a Decathlon, and
seem
to note a LOT more aircraft than I remember being normal. I am not sure
if
this situation has been developing for some time or if it is just a
normal
seasonal thing. I cannot comment on the actual sale prices but the
asking
prices do not seem to reflect the increased supply.

The situation has been building for over a year. My best guess is
that increased fuel prices have put a damper on the market. I know
several owners that have had their planes for sale for over 6 months,
with little interest. The asking prices are still high, but the
actual selling prices are not. One of my airport neighbors finally
found a buyer for his plane. It had a runout engine, but was
otherwise perfect. No mechanical squawks, great panel, all leather
interior and excellent paint. After nearly a year on the market, he
sold for 60% of his asking price.

I think fuel costs are just one part of the overall situation. Where I
live there are several other problems. One, it is getting hard to find
good maintenance for light airplanes. Several of the small airports
around no longer have an A&P on the field. Insurance costs are higher and
getting harder to get. I can't fly in my company's general aviation
program as I can no longer buy the $1MM "smooth" insurance my company
requires. This was readily available in the mid 90s before 9/11. Add
these challenges to fuel costs and availability of so many other forms of
entertainment and it isn't hard to predict the future of GA.

Matt