Old September 12th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

Default flying flea aerodynamics question

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:20:28 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I've had a look through that site.
what prompted this was a book published in england.

Arthur Ord-Hume has published a neat book reprinting the Flying Flea,
'how to build one' articles in practical mechanics and recounts the
english experience related to the flea.
he also has the articles on building the Luton Minor which was
published as a safer aircraft to build.

quite an interesting book to read and has just been published.
"The first Home-built aeroplanes" Arthur W.J.

I am wondering about your interest in this plane. Are you planning to
build
it, or just interesting information to put into your brain?

I understand about new information for the brain, and seem to have run
across an opportunity like that lately... Thanks again, for that. g

I'm interested in the history of homebuilding and home built designs,
and understanding the engineering.
as a kid in highschool a little book on homebuilts that featured,
among others, a blue cassutt racer and a sectioned view of a flying
flea first piqued my interest in aviation.

my own building efforts I have decided will resurect some of the
classic wooden homebuilt aircraft. current target is the Turbulent.
a little jodel d9 might be next.

if anyone was to build a flea I think they'd be taking their life in
their hands flying it on anything other than a windless balmy spring
or autumn day. every other aeroplane has ailerons for a bloody good
reason. when I read of all the condemning of the design it flagged
something in my head beside the sectioned image of the flea.
years later I read the english translation of 'the flying flea- how to
build and fly it' by mignet and I was surprised to find that it had a
competent structure. mignet's hm14 is structurally ok imho.
the current search is just to read the original source document of the
aerodynamic investigations.

one thing I discovered from the library list was an online article in
the Flight magazine archives. 11th april 1935 pages 385 and 386 is an
interesting description with drawings of the Aubier et Dunne 17hp two
cylinder geared engine built in france for the Flea. an interesting
little engine.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200806.html
the link points to the second page.
Stealth Pilot