Old September 7th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BDS

Default Stall warnings

The problem with this theory is that there are plenty of airplanes out there
that are equipped with stall warning devices and that also exhibit exactly
the same 6 warning signs when a stall is imminent, and yet pilots still
manage to kill themselves in them after an accident preceded by a stall.
Apparently the stall warning device on top of the 6 other warnings that the
aircraft is screaming at the pilot isn't quite the impetus to action that it
might seem to be in theory.

Instructors will probably agree that they have seen times when a pilot is so
mentally loaded up that no amount of repeatedly telling them to take an
action appropriate to the situation at hand will be sufficient to resolve
the problem. Sometimes, the only solution is to take the controls
temporarily and correct the situation. Therefore, I suspect that if you are
so far behind the curve that you are unaware of all of the other signs of an
impending stall, that one more piled on top of all of the others will have
little or no effect on the outcome.

"Bill D" wrote in message

I'm going out on a limb here and somebody out there will get the saw
out.
A stall does not happen without some warning.
The important element in training is understanding the warning signs.
I teach 6 signs and require all pilots I oversee to be able to
verbalize and demonstrate them.
#1- Reduced control effectiveness sensed by lower resistance to forces
applied by the pilot and reduced response of the glider.
#2- Nose high attitude. Yes we can stall at any attitude, but nose
high is almost always there in critical stalls.
#3- Reduced cockpit noise- Less noticable in modern gliders but still
evident.
#4- Stick pressure is back and likely significant- Exception is aft CG
or improperly trimmed glider.
#5- Low indicated air speed
#6- Buffet indicating flow separation preceding a stall.
It is worth noting that pilots previously trained in airplanes will
commonly mention #6 first , but almost none have been trained on the
other warnings.
I also note that the majority of pilots I check that have been trained
by others have a few (maybe a half dozen or so) log book entries
noting stalls. This, in my view, is completely inadequate. Recognition
and response must be automatic and instinctive, and this needs much
more emphasis and practice.
Off soap box
UH

Excellent review!

I would only add if one or more of these symptoms are present and a
stall warning sounds, it will be clear why it sounded. A stall
warning tends to provide the impetus for action - merely recognizing
the symptoms does not in itself result in stall/spin avoidance - the
pilot must act to lower the AoA.