Old September 7th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Stall warnings

On 9/7/2011 1:52 PM, jcarlyle wrote:
Mike, I was waiting for UH to answer your primary concern. Now that he
has, am I correct in reading into your original question that this was
the first time you've seen someone present the six signs of an
impending stall?

-John

On Sep 7, 2:08 pm, Mike
wrote:
I think you need to be careful on how this is presented to students.
Many will interpret this to mean that all of these symptoms need to be
present during a stall.

In particular, the nose high attitude is not always there, particularly
in the type of stalls we see during landings. This is real obvious if
you start getting a little slow while thermalling. You can feel the
stall come on with the mushy controls and eventually the inside wing
starts to drop, but the nose isn't at any unusual attitude.

--
Mike Schumann

Why would you assume that? My point is that not each of these signs is
always present when you enter a stall. When you teach stall recognition
to students, they need to be able to sense the stall coming on
regardless of the aircraft attitude and other factors.

--
Mike Schumann