Old March 24th 15, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

I estimate my glider and trailer at about 1,800 lbs and tow it with my
wife's Subaru Outback with 3.6 liter flat 6 engine. It easily tows over
the mountain passes in New Mexico and Colorado, gets mileage in the 30s
without the trailer and mid 20s with the trailer. And, while I'm
flying, my wife has an AWD car to use for finding hiking trails in the
mountains.

On 3/24/2015 10:03 AM, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

--