Old March 24th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:24:01 PM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 9:04:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

It might be helpful if you told us what part of the world you are in, how far you are likely to be towing and some idea of your budget.

Here in the USA, gasoline is currently around $2 a gallon (about 50 c a liter) and mileage is not as big a concern as in Europe. My Lexus SUV tow vehicle weighs two tons, has a 5-liter engine, gets 15 mpg (US) and will cruise all day at 80 mph with a glider trailer. I tow thousands of miles a year between states. I wouldn't dream of having such a vehicle in Europe with their narrow roads, high fuel costs and shorter distances.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I live in Rhode Island and fly out of Danielson CT with the Connecticut Soaring Association, a small but fast growing club. I started Aero towing for them 3 years ago and last fall got my glider add on.

I would be towing my glider primarily to destinations in NH, VT, NY, NJ and PA. With perhaps an occasional trip down the East Coast of the US. So by East Coast standards their would be some trips into the mountains. By Western Standards those would just be foot hills.

Thanks for any advice

Bill

Ahhhhhh...... sorta local to me.

My most recent tow vehicle is a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT wagon with a 2.5L NA engine & 5MT. It does well, has gone from north NJ to NewCastle, VA, Dansville, NY, State college, PA, etc.
Newer cars will get better mileage than mine (I'm low 20'sMPG empty, high teens/20MPG with a trailer).
Usually either an enclosed std/15M trailer, I also pulled a ASK-21 (enclosed trailer) from Elmira, NY to NJ.

The wagon weighs a little more and is a little longer (both help with any trailer towing).