Old October 17th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Cheaper tows?

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 4:20:17 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 13:13:58 -0700, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

To sorta answer this, there is an ongoing push by AOPA and other groups
along with the FAA (in the US) for a suitable unleaded fuel for use in
the older "leaded fuel" engines.
I know we added a supplement to our low lead fuel for our towplanes.
Don't remember the name of it.

Slightly off topic, but how do you guys like this engine conversion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loy2n8s_l00

The airframe is interesting: it was developed in California as a low-cost
counter-insurgency aircraft, but never caught on. The design was bought
by a NZ outfit and redeveloped as an agricultural plane in, I think, the
early '60s. It originally had 250hp, but was rapidly upgraded to a 400hp
Continental flat 6. Now they either have a 750 shp turbine or, line this
one a big block truck V8. I don't know if its burning petrol or diesel.

You see one or two 750hp turbine derivatives (the PAC750 bush plane)over
here in the hands of jump clubs. They like them because the carry a lot
of jumpers at a time and can manage 2500 fpm descent rates, so the turn-
round time is good.

Back on topic: I've not heard of them being used as tow planes, but I
reckon they'd be a match for the big turbine Zlins at that game.

Anyway, enjoy the video and its V8 sound track !

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

The E-Tug Pawnee VH-CUR with (backwards facing) LS1 V8 was great, but they had so many teething pains programming the chip that it didn't stick around at Keepit. Believe the E-Tug group have it all worked out now.
When I saw it, the E-Tug used a ground adjustable 4-blade prop on a PSRU made in Washington.
Climbed way too fast at first, got to 2000' before the end of the runway which is a concern at a competition.
During the period when the throttle would not go back to idle, it was shut down and landed dead stick with no shock cooling issues - but the water pump wasn't turning then either.
Believe there are newer LS- series V8s that are better.
Just found some photos from 2007.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gh8y9b7p...ykXOTBjEa?dl=0
Jim