Old September 1st 04, 02:56 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Presidente Alcazar writes:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:17:41 -0400, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

Before the 2 stage Merlin appeared, The folks planning Brit War
Production were getting ready to close down Merlin production in favor
of its intended followons - the Sabre and the Vulture. (The Griffon
was another Rolls private venture) It's a good thig that didn't
happen.

Whatever do you mean? Surely the war would have ended a lot sooner
with fleets of Sabre-engined Lancasters darkening the skies and the
emergency runways at Manston and Woodbridge after multiple engine
failures?

Just so - there's no doubt at all that the war would have ended
earlier. But then, we'd probably all have umlauts on our keyboards.
I find it amazing, in some ways, that Sabre development was so
persistant. After the blinding success of the Napier Dagger (Same
configuration only smaller) engined Hereford (Hampden with Rapiers)
Medium Bomber Motorglider.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster