Old February 11th 04, 04:39 PM
nafod40

Bill Daniels wrote:
"nafod40" wrote

They've been given the real test...by an owner.

http://www.ulflyingmag.com/2003web/a...cirrusave.html

I've read that story before but the SR22 is not a glider. The SR22 gear
legs are designed to absorb a lot of the impact. I don't think a gliders'
hard gear will protect my spine when hitting a hard surface at 5 meters per
second.

I don't think even the manufacturers of these "whole-aircraft" chutes claim
that landing with one is safer than landing with a personal 'chute.

I'm with Mike Borgelt. Give me a NOAH or a tail 'chute to stabilize the
wreckage so I can depart with a personal 'chute.

Some thoughts to consider...
1. Glider weighs a lot less than a Cirrus, since you don't have engine,
etc. to lower to ground = slower land speed. Want slower landing? Use
bigger chute. Someone will come up with airbag deployment too. Should be
cheap, as they are mass produced for cars.
2. Landing in prone position vice upright, you can accept a hell of a
big force. Gliders put you in the right position to land.
3. Jumping out of plane at low levels can be hazardous to your health.
4. With whole plane chute, you still have an intact glider when all is
said and done. With personal chute, you have scrap.

I personally sat in (never used...knock on wood) an ejection seat for a
few thousand hours, but they weigh more than some gliders, I think.