Old January 30th 17, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:17:59 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
I'm hoping some of you might be kind enough to offer some perspective regarding my panel (pic he https://s29.postimg.org/qvb54ydzb/Panel_2.jpg), it's equipped with:
* Cambridge L-NAV computer with vario display, audio vario & gear warning
* Cambridge GPS-NAV flight recorder & LCD navigation display
* Sage mechanical vario

Not pictured:
* Kobo XCSoar tablet (sunlight readable black & white flight computer)
* Android tablet, running Avare, connected to Stratux for traffic & weather

I've been flying gliders one season, and managed to earn the bronze badge.. I plan to start on the silver badge this spring, and hope to fly cross country. I've only used the Cambridge as a vario, and it works fine; I imagine it's navigation interface is clunky compared to my tablets. The Kobo XCSoar tablet gives lots of glider flight data, and the Android tablet also runs XCSoar, in case of a Kobo failure.

I imagine some of you have been down this road. Other than the obvious aesthetics, what's the benefit of replacing the Cambridge gear with something like an LXNAV S100?

Thanks,
Paul

The L Nav is an excellent system, though dated. The main reason to replace would be panel space, or the desire to add a full integrated system.
What you have is good enough to do most anything you would want, at least until you get to competition beyond the beginner level.
Fly and have fun
UH