View Single Post
Old September 18th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On 09/17/2018 08:35 AM, Chris Esselstyn wrote:
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:21:53 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Did the exiting parts only damage the removable turtle deck?Â* I would
have expected them to fly in all directions radially.

On 9/17/2018 7:29 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 9:26:48 PM UTC-5, Mike Borgelt wrote:
The production of Halon ceased January 1, 1994, at least in the States.
Yes but it gets recovered from old equipment and can be used in fire extinguishers in certain applications.

I read a great article once about how the USAF looked into substitutes and there weren't any that did not require twice as much bulk and/or weight for same effect.

Mike
Last Friday I went out for a day of soaring. During my assembly I started both turbines for a pre-flight test. Both turbines started and had normal run ups. After tow out I was ready for takeoff. Once again the turbines started without any issues, during my takeoff roll one of the engines catastrophically failed. The rear turbine wheel exploded and shrapnel was radiated thru the exhaust cone onto my removable turtleneck. The damage to the aircraft was primarily cosmetic but the turbine is totaled.

--
Dan, 5J

The shrapnal pattern was radial. The position of the turbine wheel was aft of the trailing edge of the wing so the wings were not damaged. I found two additional small pieces in the engine bay that were lodged into the fiberglass otherwise the majority of the damage was on the aft edge of the turtle deck. There were two more marks on the fuselage right behind the turtle deck joint.

Thank goodness you're OK. With another engine mounted side by side,
seems like it easily could have failed also.