Old November 16th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Default Identifying the other guy

Many contests now have the towplanes put their "callsigns" on the flaps
with tape or JJ's crayon. Puts the info right where the person who
needs it can see it.

Helps out tremendously in case you missed looking at the N number in the
heat of a contest launch.

Larry

"rlovinggood" wrote in message
:

At a regional contest in the U.S. this past spring, we had a bit of
"entertainment" on the radio. The launch was underway, with about
four Pawnee's, one Cezzna Agtruck (Agwagon?), and one Cezzna 175, all
towing up about 50 gliders.

Over the radio:
"Towplane, speed up!"

Response:
"Which Towplane?"

Glider Guider:
"The Pawnee!"

Response:
"Which Pawnee?"

And then, I was laughing so hard, I couldn't concentrate on flying my
own glider. But the play continued.

"What color Pawnee?"

Glider Guider:
"White"

Response:
"Which white Pawnee? What color stripes?"

Glider Guider:
"I can't tell"

I guess he finally got off tow. I don't know if they ever figured out
which Pawnee needed more speed.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA