Old November 16th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default Identifying the other guy

As a fellow towpilot I have my opinion on the visual signals.

My thoughts a
It's hard enough looking in the mirror to see the glider in the
first place. The mirror vibrates enough that I have to take a hand and
steady it to get a be tter (not good) view. The field of view is
limited and the towplane tail obscures the glider often.

The towpilot is scanning many things, so the glider pilot will have
to maintain the signal for quite a while to be seen and understood.

The radio is quicker and easier. The issue about miss identified
tow planes will only happen at contests. (Or at very busy sites
maybe ?)

Since the radio is the usual method of communication, the visual
signals do not get practiced. Therefore they might have been
memorized, but they are not practiced on every tow. I keep a placard
in my cockpit, just in case. The only 2 signals that I have reliably
memorized are a) wave-off by tow plane (he rocks his wing) and b)
check your spoilers/glider (rudder waggle). The rest I'll take the
time to look up if needed.

The signals were developed in a time when gliders and tow planes
didn't always have radios. Now we normally have radios and the only
signals we need are the true emergency signals.

Todd Smith
3S