Old November 16th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Identifying the other guy

On Nov 16, 7:47 am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

By the way, if you disagree with the effectiveness of the current
signal to speed up (Hint: "Rock & Roll"), volunteer to chair a
committee to change it.

I don't really care if the signal is changed but I will never use it.
If you are really too slow, trying to rock the wings enough to alert
the tow pilot is not too wise. If you really can rock the wings
enough to alert the tow pilot you probably aren't really too slow.

At most contest I've been to, the tow speed is agreed by the tow pilot
and the glider pilot by being set at the mandatory pilot meeting.
True, the first day usually finds some of the less experienced tow
pilots flying slow, but there should never be a need for all pilots to
request a tow speed prior to launch. The frequency must be kept clear
to safety calls.

Andy