Old November 17th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Default Identifying the other guy

Too-slow tows are a constant problem at contests. Not being a tow
pilot, I can only guess a the problem, but I suspect that tow pilots
used to pulling 2-33s can't seem to adjust to what happens with
heavily ballasted gliders on a hot day. The radio is full of radio
calls, wing rocking, (yes, contest pilots know the signals) and more
radio calls to no effect.

It happened to me last summer. The big problem was not "more speed" on
a well-balanced tow. My towplane simply took off for the sky while I
was still rolling on the ground! Towing a fully ballasted glider
requires the towplane to gain speed while low, and make sure the
glider has taken off before climbing. The contest rules say 70 mph,
and that means gain speed to 70 while still in ground effect.

Most hilarious radio exchange: Lubbock, standard class nationals. Full
water, slight cross and downwind. The same towplane is always too
slow. "Towplane X, 70 mph please. ...(no answer) TOWPLANE X, MORE
SPEED (no answer) .... TOWPLANE X, I NEED MORE SPEED NOW!" (pause)
"all right, all right, ... but what do y'all want to fly so fast for
anyhow?"

Of course many seasoned contest tow pilots provide excellent and
dedicated servce, for little reward, and we're very thankful for
them.

John Cochrane