Old September 2nd 03, 09:15 PM
Snowbird

(Ben Jackson) wrote in message news:qYx4b.238270$cF.77016@rwcrnsc53...

I haven't done the math, but it seems like if you float down half a 2
mile runway after zooming down the ILS you're not going to be clear any
sooner that if you'd flown the ILS more slowly but made the first turnoff.

Well, let's take a stab at the math. I like my approach speed (whatever
it will be) stabilized outside the FAF. Typical glideslope intercept is
4-5 nmiles. So if I'm slowing, I want to slow down about 6 nmiles out.
That's ~4.5 minutes to DH. OTOH, if I keep my speed to 120 kts, I
can do the same in 3 minutes.

So the question is, does it take me an extra 1.5 minutes to get off the
runway? I don't think so...I can throttle back when I break out and
slip a little bit to scrub speed so I can dump in the flaps. Maybe
an extra 1/2 minute?

But I can see where it *could* take at least an extra minute for
some planes which are slicker or if the pilot is unwilling to just
throttle back.

I also know pilots who want to slow up (if they're going to slow)
way earlier than I do, in which case the time differential is greater.

Cheers,
Sydney