Old October 14th 03, 10:09 PM
Stan Gosnell

(PaulH) wrote in
om:

I took my checkride yesterday, and when I attached my Sporty's
flip-down foggles to my glasses, the examiner nearly had heart failure
- "you can't use those!!!!!!!" She said they allow too much
peripheral vision to permit transition to in-cloud flight. We
completed the checkride with a cardboard hood that sort of worked, but
I'd like to find something that
a. works well with glasses
b. can wear with my Lightspeed 25xl headphones
c. allows good view of panel without turning head
d. light weight
e. eliminates peripheral vision

Opinions desired.

She's full of crap, but she's the examiner, so it's hard to argue at the
time. I also use a flip-down device that attaches to my glasses. It
allows no more peripheral vision than a hood. I don't like peripheral
vision anyway, it just distracts me. Our company check pilots don't like
my device much either, but they let me use it. IME, as long as you can't
see the horizon out the windshield, that's enough view-limiting.

I've seen people use the large all-around sunglasses, with most of the
lenses covered or scratched, and lots of other things, but they all allow
too much noise into the headset because the temples are too big, and they
cause me too much pain from the pressure. There is a hood made by (I
think) Sanderson, that attaches via an elastic band, that our check pilots
use, but I don't like it much. It gives me tunnel vision, but it works
over almost anything, especially after the band gets stretched way out.

--
Regards,

Stan