Old October 14th 03, 10:34 PM
Rod Madsen

I also bought the Sporty's flip down device which is supposed to clamp to
you ear phones. They don't work with David Clark phones so I returned them
and got the Francis hood. It's right next to the flip-downs in Sporty's
catalog.

Rod
"Sylvain" wrote in message
om...
(PaulH) wrote in message

. com...
I took my checkride yesterday, and when I attached my Sporty's
flip-down foggles to my glasses, the examiner nearly had heart failure
- "you can't use those!!!!!!!" She said they allow too much
peripheral vision to permit transition to in-cloud flight. We
completed the checkride with a cardboard hood that sort of worked, but
I'd like to find something that
a. works well with glasses
b. can wear with my Lightspeed 25xl headphones
c. allows good view of panel without turning head
d. light weight
e. eliminates peripheral vision

Opinions desired.

I have a lightspeed headset (20XL) and wear glasses; I did try
a number of things out there, including these flip down thingies,
but never quite was happy with them; either unconfortable, or
allows way too much peripheral vision; I am now using the
"Francis IFR Hood" (do a google search, a number of shops around
there sell this item); difficult to beat in term of peripheral
vision elimination; and it is confortable, even after a several hours;
the thing though is that it takes some time to get used to it, because
it actually does block off any peripheral vision; I know some people
actually hate this hood because of that, but then it makes flying
in actual comparatively easier, which is precisely what I am trying
to achieve :-)

--Sylvain