Old December 16th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve R

Default old days

"boB" wrote in message

Please take what I say with a grain of salt. I can only talk about what my
experiences were and I don't want to convey that what I did was the cut
and dried solution. I have no idea what an R22 would do with an engine
failure at 50 feet. In 25 years the only actual engine failure I had was
in an OH-13 (Bell 46). Luckily I was a student in flight school flying
instrument procedures. That was back in the days of the scruffy old IP's.
As I was flying along the nose of the aircraft kind of jerked a little bit
left. The IP told me to be easier on the pedals. The aircraft jerked
again, the IP hit my leg with his hat and just as he was yelling, the
aircraft got strangely quiet. My reaction was to go through the emergency
procedure for engine failure IMC. I barely got the collective down before
the IP, all assholes and elbows, grabbed the controls and we set down
nicely in a peanut field there in Alabama. So my only engine failure in
25 years consisted of me watching my IP complete a "full stop"
autorotation. But I never forgot what it sounded like when the engine
decided to quit.

boB
copter.six

Cool story boB. Definitely a time when silence is "not" golden! I'd love
to see the look on the IP's face! ;-)

Steve R.