Old September 19th 04, 02:54 PM
Bob Moore

Excerpted from other posts.......

Any talk about Jet-A jelling sounds....bogus..

If gelling of Jet-A were a problem, airliners would be
falling out of the sky on a regular basis.

It is a problem. It is solved by heating the fuel.

It is a problem on long flights at high altitudes and high
latitudes. The fuel filters on the Boeings that I flew
were heated to prevent the screens from "waxing" over.
The fuel itself was not heated. The filters were heated
with hot engine bleed air and heated for one minute every
thirty minutes when the fuel temperature dropped below zero
degrees celsius.

At PanAm, we had three procedures for dealing with extremely
low temperatures across the North Atlantic.

1. Re-route to a more southernly (warmer) route.
2. Reduce altitude to a warmer OAT.
3. Increase speed for a greater friction effect on the tanks.
At around M.80, the Ram Air Temperature is about thirty
degrees higher than the True Air Temperature.

All of these required extra fuel of course and we depended
on the Dispatcher providing a good Temp Aloft forecast.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)