Old March 3rd 05, 12:28 AM
Homesick Angel

Dear Ron,
Thought of climbing real high, pulling the red knob til it quits, and
gliding (best glide 85 estimated because my ) and see how far I get,
and then restarting and trying it again. Still haven't gotten enough
courage up to try that one yet, and hopefully never will. Some day when
I head out for Alaska I might have to try that stunt to come up with
enough gas to make it.

Even though I know a taildragger pilot who would kill the engine and
then get it into a dive and hopefully get it windmilling fast enough to
restart. Beats getting out and propping it I guess.

Also went down to the hangar and checked. Didn't think there was a
black knob. Throttle is white, mixture red and black, and prop is
gray. Been flying a plane for a couple of hours, then a couple of
hours in something else. Not sure where anything is on anything
anymore. The last was a Taylorcraft and I think the knobs were silver
and white knobs on that that would hit you in the knees when you pulld
them out.

Husband keeps swapping, modifying his airplanes, I just leave my alone.
It if ain't broke leave it alone. Have had to threaten him and our
mechanics with severe bodily harm and/or mutilation if they mess with
my airplane. Wanted to do a 300 HP wren conversion (not legal for my
year), wanted to rebuild engine cause it used a little oil. Just had
been sitting and after using it some it's all better.

According to the POH 2000 PRM MPs of 16 at 5000 and 7500 feet are 6.8
and 7.0 gal/hr. If you believe in books. The only book I believe in
100% is the Bible. Husband has a bad heart and I asked his heart doctor
he said don't go much over 7 or 8,000 feet, didn't say density
alititude or what. The gound here is 1,500 to 2,000 except for the
occasional little tiny mountain you might encounter so I just stay high
enough to clear the tallest obstruction in that quadrangle on the chart
plus some cause I have a way of getting sucked into every tower out
there.

Aslo I have written here my empty weight is 1616.1. At first this was
such a beast cause all I had were 150s and cubs, T-crafts, champs,
defenders, vagabonds. Did have a cherokee for a whole two hours of
instruction once. Thought that was so big. The windshield was so far
away. Could barely reach anything. We go down the runway and ways and
they'd say pull back, I was pulling really hard and it wouldn't come
off, though my arms were going to break? Maybe the trim needed to be
reset or adjusted. Guess I just like something with a pretty big high
lift wing.

I never really bothered with the trim much until this 182 then I had to
learn that or go on steroids to build up my arms. Flies like a Cub
now. Even though I'm the only one in the family that does like yellow,
I think about putting a Cub paint job on my 182, yellow with that black
stripe, and I'd just love to hear people calling it a Cub. Yep a
4-seat Cub with a nosewheel, 1 strut, a starter, landing, tip lights,
etc. I bet I'd fool a few people. Good thing I don't like yellow.
It's OK on a Cub, but rather have blue. Not a good color for
visibility though. Well take care, guess I'll have to settle for 6.8
or 7 which ain't too bad. Usually run it 19 19, 20 20. At least you
guys have got me reading the POH again.

Had a POH for my first 150 2525J. Was learing in Eastport Maine right
at sea level. never could match their climb numbers. After a while
they sent a supplement that we were supposed to put on top of those
original numbers because they were way too oppomistic. This 182 POH
has numbers for 20,000 feet. I've showed instructors and examiners
that it's in the book so the airplane can do it, but they seem
skeptical. So at 20,000 feet MP of 12, 89 MPH at 7.2 GPH with a slight
case of anoxic brain damage (not enough air for the pilot). Guess I'll
have to borrow some O2 or save up for an oxygen system next. 20,000
glide ratio of X(not in POH) = distance of Y. 4-5miles x glide = ?
not enough to even get out of Texas. See ya.