Old October 11th 05, 03:28 PM
Dave Butler

Greg Farris wrote:
In article ,
says...

I think I'd simply inform ATC of my need for some specific deviation,
in exactly the same way I'd handle a request for deviation
around an embedded thunderstorm showing on my radar.
For example, "Nxxxx requests deviation ten degrees left for weather."

I can almost hear the center controller's hair being pulled out!
You may be VFR, responsible for visual separation, but the IFR traffic near
you is not. Suddenly you want ten degrees left! Maybe in wide-open places with
little traffic - try asking something like that to Boston center.

Really? I'm certainly surprised that would be a problem for Boston Center. I
don't fly in that airspace very often, but where I fly (NC and environs) those
kinds of deviations are pretty common. I don't know about VFR on top, but I mean
on an IFR plan.