Old August 6th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Default Instrument Approaches in High Winds

What is the stratregy for figuring out how to safely use the taxiway?
Since I've never done this before, I am wondering how you inspect for
available length and obstacles along the departure path.

gregscheetah wrote:
I have been flying in the midwest for 20 years and we often have 20 -
35 knot crosswinds. I landed a Grumman Cheetah on a runway with 30G40
crosswinds at about 60 deg to the runway, it skidded a little but was
OK. On the departure there was a taxi-way that led to the run way at
about 50 deg - pretty direct headwind. I used that for departure
figuring it was safer than trying to use the runway. Worked great and
completely legal (for that airport - no tower). At our local airport
we have seen people using the frozen bean field for departure instead
of the runway during high wind days.
So don't be afraid to be a little creative when faced with strong
winds. But be sure you know what you are doing.
Greg J.