Old December 31st 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Anyolmouse

Default Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

"Anyolmouse" wrote in message

| "Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

| On Dec 29, 9:48 pm, "BT" wrote:
| It may have been an "accident" when the unpiloted aircraft hit the
| trees.
| But it the airplane did not accidentally start moving.. that would
be
| negligence on the grandfathers part
|
| Wouldn't that still be an accident? Are you suggesting that if the
| plane was not tied down it was a "on purpose"?
|
| In anycase, its not always practical to tie down the tail (especially
| in areas without tiedown). I had 3 ways to secure the Aeronca and J-3.
| Brakes, chock, tail tiedown. I would always use 2 of those 3. Many,
| many times I started the plane when no tie down was available but then
| I would use a chock and the aircraft brake (which was marginal). One
| thing that "electric" pilots do not realize is that its very, very
| hard to guess how much power the engine will develop when it first
| starts. Sometimes it will just be idling, other times it will start
| with a big roar. Once you've started the plane you can walk around,
| put it in a low idle, and then unsecure the airplane.
|
| -Robert
|
| Back in the mid 70's I witnessed brake failure on a Luscombe during
| rollout of a landing. The airplane ground looped and went into a
fence.
| The FAA inspector classified it as an incident. He said that incidents
| did not result in injuries requiring hospital treatment. Accidents did
| require hospital treatment. I don't know if that was his own policy or
| the FAA's at the time.
|
| --
| Anyolmouse

Here is the definition taken from:
http://www.nolan-law.com/practice-ar...ghts/#Incident

An aviation accident is the most serious and may be defined as such if
at least one person is killed or hospitalized for longer than 24 hours
and/or the aircraft is destroyed or substantially damaged. Thus, it is
possible to have an aviation accident in which no people are seriously
injured but the aircraft is lost as was the case early in 2008 with the
loss of a British Airways B777 at Heathrow Airport. Also meeting the
test of an aviation accident was the 1997 loss of a TWA B747 flying out
of New York when a fuel tank exploded and all 230 persons aboard were
killed and the aircraft was destroyed.

I guess negligence could come into play either for accidents or
incidents.

--
Anyolmouse