Old November 18th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Best Looking Sailplane

On Nov 17, 5:26*pm, sisu1a wrote:
-snip-

Len Neimi's Sisu 1A. Alex
Aldott's pic of world free distance holder Al Parker's Sisu stood up
on one wingtip under a Texas sky still gives me chills whenever I see
it. I've always regretted that V-tails went out of style. Of course, I
never had to launch or land with one.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Not all V tails are created equal... The Sisu had plenty of
simultaneous elevator and rudder authority and if you were put in it
blindfolded and flew it you would never suspect it wasn't a T- at any
phase of flight. The same can't be said for most others though...

Chip, I entirely agree that the pic of Al doing a hammerhead in his
ship is THE quintessential encapsulation of beauty in the form of a
sailplane. I didn't throw that out there in this thread as I am
obviously jaded.

-Paul Hanson
Sisu 1a, s/n 101, N6390X

& for those who haven't seen that shot yet...
http://bauerairgroup.com/yahoo_site_...a.54235740.jpg