Old August 2nd 19, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Wing Contour?

Several years ago (1970 time frame) Wil Schumann did a re-contour of the H301 Libelle leading edge. It required a bit of build-up with balsa to the extent you're talking about. My father glued the balsa directly to the existing surface and roughed it to shape, slightly undersized on the templates.

The Bondo was then added to create the actual contour and was followed by a thin fiberglass layer, filler and paint.

It lasted until I bought the glider in 2015(!) and it's still there with no damage, other than a few chips that needed to be refilled.

I think if you check back in the archives you can find an article describing Wil's process.

Mike B.