Old January 23rd 04, 07:55 PM
Zamboni

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
As to lack of smarts - it was eating another seagull that had been

smooshed
on the road earlier, it never entered its greedy little brain to wonder

how
that meal had gotten there.

Yeah... I'll have to take back my comment about buzzards being dumber than
seagulls, but after one almost hit my car this morning three seconds after
he took off (I was doing 25mph, he would have hit me, not I hit him). I
feel I must reconsider my ordering of the intellectual higherarchy of

animal
kingdom avians... maybe seagulls are just responsive to airplane noise,

but
otherwise dumb.

I almost hit an Bald Eagle with my truck once. The eagle was cruising down
the river until it got to the bridge, then just lifted up just enough to
clear the railing - and the hood of my truck - then over the other railing
and back down to the river. Two feet to the left and he would have come
through the windshield. I swear there were scuff marks on the dirt on my
hood from him dragging his feet across it. I wonder if he even noticed the
cars on the bridge at all.

Years ago, I saw one of the last California Condors cruising down a 2-lane
freeway (checking out roadkill?), and only 15 feet off the ground as we went
underneath him. I can only image what he would have done to a motorhome.
--
Zamboni