Old February 28th 04, 04:44 AM
Rocky

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Matter of fact Rocky...I apologised to Bart RIGHT OFF as I said I would,
having misunderstood his post the first time I read it, not too carefully.
Having been in in heavy helicopter operations and maintenance for some 20
years...sightseeing with 206's, Astars, Twinstars, Dauphines et.al. and
transport category ops. with S-61N's, and Chinooks...I have a clue. At the
end of the day, however, what Bart is addressing is the Bottom Line, not
fixed wing vs. helicopter performance. I share some of his views, but not
all. Floats for continuous overwater operations sounds like a good idea to
me considering the altitudes HE wants to operate at. When a single engine
fails overwater in a helicopter, where are you going??? I thought you would
arrive at that conclusion. EVEN with floats sightseeing, I have seen ONE
float deploy. What does that do for your day, and that of your sightseers?

Perhaps I shouldn't invite myself to a recreational rotorcraft forum. I
guess I've been working with pros for a LOOOng time and may get testy with
some of the opionated, but less experienced. The FAR's and the NPRM's are
there for ALL operators whether you consider yourself exempt from them or
not, and the wise pay attention. Credit to Bart in that respect. I had NO
intention of starting a ****ing contest, although I HAVE seen a few
recreationalists who should be flying around in a cage. NO reflection
intended on the rest of you although their actions do cast aspersions,
wouldn't you agree?

There's NO room up there ANYWHERE for the ignorant.
Bob

Bob
Yep I pretty much agree with your point and position. Simple age has
kind of kicked me out of the seat after about 40 years so I don't have
the day to day interest that active guys like you have. When I was
making 100% of my living pulling/pushing controls in helicopters (and
airplanes) I was much more attuned to the NPRM's and made many
out how few pilots DO respond, and how much weight is given to those
who DO. In fact, it was outright scary in some cases.
Like you, I too have been known to get a bit testy and have on more
than one occasion really ****ed off a few and got BBQ'd over it. That
in part may be why so many of the old pros opted out of this NG? I
just hang around and stick in my two bits worth once in a while when
something catches my eye.
If you lose an engine with a single engine airplane over water you are
in the same mess!! I gave that a lot of thought while ferrying
helicopters down south back in the early 80's and had to go out
offshore of Nicaraugua. Didn't want to become a house guest of the
Sandanistas for any prolonged period of time!
Fly safe up there. Best professional regards
Rocky