Old March 27th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default ELT replacement: Options?

Peter R. wrote:
On 3/27/2007 4:41:13 PM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

A NEW ELT
Did you know that in less than two years, the standard 121.5 MHz distress
frequency will no longer be satellite monitored? That means if you want an
emergency locator worthy of the name, you'll need a 406 MHz beacon. Right
now, only one company, Artex, offers an affordable 406 ELT. Here's a
review and buying advice.

So, if you don't get AC you might want to see if you can find an copy of
the next issue.

Thanks, Gig, and good timing. I do get AC so I will be sure to check out the
article, perhaps instead visiting AC's website rather than waiting for my
issue to arrive in the mail.

From what I have seen Artex 406 units are pretty pricey, but that is soon to
change. This afternoon I spoke with a representative from ACK who informed me
that their 406MHz unit is about 8 months from being certified. This unit will
be a direct replacement for existing ACK E-01 installs and ACK expects the
price of this unit to be quite a bit lower than the Artex currently
available.

Given the relatively lower cost of ACK's TSO-91a unit and barring any logical
AC advice in that article to which you refer, I think my plan is to purchase
the E-01 now, and then upgrade to ACK's 406MHz unit before 121.5 Mhz
satellite monitoring goes away within two years.

This is almost like HD TV. Those first sets were very expensive. As the
time nears, the prices are coming down.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP