Old March 23rd 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FS: Libelle 201b

On Mar 13, 9:07*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:38:47 -0700, info wrote:
See ad at:
http://sites.google.com/site/soaring...me/usa-canada/

sailplanes-motorgliders

It certainly looks nice, but its NOT an H.201B. *The top and bottom
spoilers and s/n 13 place it as an early H.201. At #13 all flying
surfaces will have balsa skins.

In case you're wondering, I own #82, which is also an H.201.

The upgrade to the B series was progressive, starting from #111 and
ending with #182. This involved replacing balsa with foam in the flying
surfaces, a revised tailplane and installing ballast bags as standard.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Martin,

You are correct. My family owned a 201 and a 201b. I can't recall the
details and the paperwork has long since passed to subsequent owners
but I know there was a factory-approved procedure for installing water
ballast bags in the 201. It's quite possible that the resulting
configuration was officially referred to as a 201b. Also, you
mentioned it in passing but the 201b had dive brakes on the top
surface of the wing only. I actually preferred the smaller horizontal
tail of the 201. With my weight and with water, I could circle up
inside most other gliders with the tail buffeting. Not sure whether it
was the tail stalling or just the turbulence from the wings/fuselage
spilling over it but the glider climbed like a shot. I kept up with
the 15M ships in our first 15M nationals in 1976 with this technique
even though they could outrun me. I also learned how to sideslip well
in this glider as the dive brakes were not as effective as today's.
Great little airplane and the first modern glider I ever flew. Lots of
good memories.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA