Old August 14th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

Greg Esres wrote:
True enough, provided the approach clearance is issued crossing that
fix.

Ok, so the controller says "Cross DOCAP at or above 2,100, cleared OLV
RNAV 36."

You agree that this is ok, even under the old procedure, because the
fix is an IAF? And do you agree that "Cleared direct to DOCAP,
maintain 2,100" is essentially the same clearance?

But, you are not covering the circumstance where the controller
places you on a published segment, and clears you for an approach
*within the segment* at an altitude below the segment altitude.

True, I ignored that because that doesn't seem to be the clearance the
OP got. I have yet to see a controller have any inklink of what TAA
arrival sectors are, much less expect the pilot to use them.

Nonethless the TAA exists and the pilot correctly chose not to ignore
the *published* IAP altitude that applied to his flight. I agree that
the controller probably did not have a clue, which caused him or her to
violate the 7110.65R.