Old November 17th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Default Identifying the other guy

Greg Arnold wrote:
JJ Sinclair wrote:
Todd Smith wrote.........
The radio is quicker and easier. The issue about miss
identified.........

I'm with you 100% Todd, There was an instructor at Minden who is no
longer with us because of no radio communications. After calling for
the sailplane to close his spoilers, the tow pilot gave the signal
(rudder wag) which was mis-understood and the sailplane released at
300 feet, made a 180 degree turn and hit the wires at the end of 30.
Student severely injured and instructor later died from complications
relating to the accident. The radio should be the primary means of
communications and the tow should not be initiated without a com
check. Joe would be with us today if he had followed this procedure.
JJ

Same mistake occurred at Lone Pine a few years ago with fatal results. I
wonder if the tow plane rudder waggle signal has caused more harm than
good over the years.

I'll admit that the one time someone used the rudder waggle on me, I
released immediately. The problem became clear once I was no longer
connected to the rope. The tow pilot was experienced enough to know
what was likely to happen, so he waited until he was back over the
runway before signaling (no radio in the tow plane).

I'm not 100% certain I'd get it right the next time, the tow plane is
obviously having trouble climbing, my subconscious is anticipating a
wave off, so any signal may suffice...

Marc