Old July 24th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

On Jul 23, 12:45*am, Derek Copeland wrote:
Chris,

Nothing special required, except that the rollers or pulleys should be
smoothed out and polished if they have been used for steel cable. Some
types of drum may need to be reinforced as Dyneema can slip and tighten on
the drum to the extent that it get crushed.

More spectacularly bad advice from Del C.

Smoothing and polishing rollers will NOT work since the rope slides in
a helical path on the roller if the wrap angle is not exactly at right
angles to the roller. All roller designs used with 'plastic rope'
show rings of melted plastic when used with Plasma Rope. The rope
itself shows severe damage from melting. Using rollers with Plasma
Rope is an expensive mistake

Plasma Rope (Spectra/Dyneema) should have swiveling pulleys with
specific pulley groove geometry. I have a tested design for fairlead
pulleys with a Plasma specific guillotine that I'll let anybody use to
make their own. E-mail me and I'll send the drawings.