Old August 14th 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

Greg Esres wrote:

Regardless, you seem to arguing that if you are at a point in space
that is encompassed by *some* route, then that altitude is binding on
you. I am very much open to this interpretation, but I believe you
need to carry it to its logical conclusion.

From the TAA Order(8260.45A):

"8.2.1 Straight-In Area.
The arc boundary of the straight-in area is equivalent to a feeder fix.
When crossing the boundary or when released by ATC within the
straight-in area, an aircraft is expected to proceed direct to the IF(IAF)."

So, since the FAA defines the arc boundary of the straight-in TAA area
as the equivalent of a feeder fix, then the entire area inside that arc
must be the equivalent of a feeder route. The TAA areas are published
under FAR 97 as IAP altitudes.